Next Tuesday is #GivingTuesday. As we approach the day dedicated to giving something of ourselves rather than receiving or purchasing something for ourselves, it’s important to reflect on what giving means to us. Giving, community support, shared goals, working toward or contributing to something bigger than ourselves, are values that we are instilling in each Trafalgar student.
The idea behind #GivingTuesday is to give our heads a collective shake during this busy season of Black Friday consumerism. As we inch toward the holidays where countless gifts will be exchanged, #GivingTuesday serves as an important reminder that the world is big and not everyone has what they need. This single-day spotlight (that hopefully continues to shine throughout the year) asks us to consider the people, communities, causes, institutions or services that don’t have what they need to succeed and what we can do to help.
Along with our holiday shopping, is there a charity or a cause that we can add to our list? Can we give a gift or volunteer some time to help an organization reach their goals?
As you ponder that question I would like to celebrate a few wonderful points of pride for the giving spirit that is alive and well here at Trafalgar Castle School.
So far this year our students, employees and community have:
- Supported relief efforts in the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian through donated goods;
- Raised over $300 for cancer research during our Terry Fox Run;
- Raised over $6,000 for Make-A-Wish Foundation through our Haunted Castle proceeds;
- Our Grade 6 class collected 18 boxes of warm winter clothing for new Canadian families and refugees who use the Ajax Welcome Centre;
- Raised over $6,000 from the Castle Bazaar for the Alzheimer’s Society of Canada, Frontenac Youth Services and Gillie Beans FUNd; and
- Collected and donated non-perishable food items to Simcoe Hall Settlement House.
And we’re only part way through the year!
I’m so incredibly proud of our girls and employees for making this kind of generosity and care for the community a priority.
I’m equally grateful for the volunteers and people who turn their philanthropic focus to Trafalgar. As you know, we too are a not-for-profit organization. Our mission is to challenge each girl’s mind, strengthen her voice and nurture her heart. To do that, we need our community’s support to continuously empower our students, upgrade our facilities and learning environment and expand our programs.
With support from parents, alumnae and friends, we have reached almost half of our goal for this year’s Head of School Initiative: Winterizing the Loggia (a project that has been completely student led!).
Please consider a gift to Trafalgar Castle’s Annual Fund by clicking here in honour of this year’s #GivingTuesday.
Thank you for your support and for making this community the amazing place that it is.